Welcome To Newry


Newry is a popular shopping destination, but is also the fourth-largest city in Northern Ireland. It is on the border with Counties Armagh and Down. The town itself has a population of some 30,000.
  • Hotels
  • Bed and Breakfasts
  • Self Catering

Information Newry Ireland

The Newry Effect is a credit crunch inspired phenomenon, with thousands of shoppers from the Irish Republic heading north to spend their euros, benefiting from good exchange rates and generally cheaper products. Although people travel from even the south of the island to Newry and other destinations north of the border, the phenomenon is not a new one. People have been travelling both north and south to purchase everything from alcohol to petrol for decades, exploiting exchange rates or taxes on either side of the border. The result is often heavy traffic around the Newry area. Newry’s name in Irish means “yew at the strand’s head”. It is a popular shopping destination, but is also the fourth-largest city in Northern Ireland. It is on the border with Counties Armagh and Down. The town itself has a population of some 30,000. It has a strong Irish language tradition, with numerous first language Irish speakers in the area until the early twentieth century. Narrow Water Castle is a government built structure situated on a site of strategic importance where the Newry River narrows. Built around 1568 at a cost of £361, a 1570 description of it survives to tell us that it had a cellar, two chambers and a hall and was surrounded by nine cottages. It was restored in the nineteenth century. Two religious structures in Newry are notable. Both are called St Patrick’s; one is Protestant, the other Catholic. St Patrick’s Church is believed to be the first Protestant church in Ireland. It was built in 1578. A cathedral with the same name was built for the Catholic church from local granite in the nineteenth century. It is believed that the architect for both this structure and one in Dundalk got his plans mixed up and sent the plans for the Newry building to Dundalk and vice versa.

Attractions Newry Ireland

Crawfordsburn Country Park - Crawfordsburn

Crawfordsburn Country Park on the southern shores of Belfast Lough is a park full of variety. It features 3.5km of coastline, often rugged and rocky. The two best beaches in the Belfast area are also located here, a deep wooded glen with an attractive waterfall and flowery meadows with excellent views over the Lough. A series of way marked trails help you to explore the Park.

Greyabbey - Greyabbey

Substantial remains of this twelfth century Cistercian abbey still stand. Strong links with English abbeys of the time created a steady flow of traffic across the Irish Sea. Mysterious and atmospheric, the beautiful parkland setting and fascinating medieval Physick Garden make a wonderful picnic spot. The Abbey may be opened on request during the winter months and weekends.

Inch Abbey - Downpatrick

Just north-west of Downpatrick lies Inch Abbey. Built before 800AD, it was destroyed by vikings and later came back to life as a Cistercian monastry founded by John de Courcy. A raised causeway now leads to the site, which, as the name suggests, was an island in the Quoile. A lot of the Abbey has been reduced to ground level but the east end of the church, with its three early English lancet windows, chapter house and reflectory is still well preserved.

Mount Stewart House - Newtownards

Located at Portaferry Road, Newtownards, Mount Stewart House was once the boyhood home of Robert Stewart, Lord Castlereagh. Its gardens are currently among the finest in Europe, with an unrivalled collection of plants, colourful parterres and vistas. The Temple of the Winds overlooks Strangford Lough.

Nendrum Monastic Site - Mahee Island

Located at Mahee Island, Comber, this is a classic example of a pre-Norman monastic enclosure. Created by Saint Patricks convert Saint Mochaoi, it sits on a beautiful site on Mahee Island in Strangford Lough. Also on the site are the remains of a round tower stump as well as the foundations of other buildings. The Nendrum bell founded on this site is now held in the Ulster Museum.